Senior Product Manager
Who we are
In our simplest form, we create startups that might otherwise not exist. We just can't get enough of empowering our founders to solve real problems with clever solutions. We live and breathe agile development and specialise in getting their start-ups to market. We also love to get up close and personal with our founders so we help them across the board with product guidance, business strategy, marketing campaigns, legal advice, future finance and more.
What you’ll be doing
- Reporting to the Delivery Director, the Senior Product Manager will be responsible for validating and transforming a founder’s business idea into a fully functioning business. This could be building an MVP from scratch or digitising an existing business.
- This is an exciting opportunity for a product manager to launch the businesses of the future and work with entrepreneurial founders and talented tech teams.
- This role will act as part of a technical co-founding team, taking founders on a journey; taking a vision from an idea to a live software product.
- As a Senior Product Manager, you will have the opportunity to work across the full business lifecycle - from idea validation, product discovery, MVP definition and scoping, launch, scale-up, exit.
- By using product management concepts, you will rapidly assess a situation and use your experience to create a plan to make progress. You will then plan and execute a software product build (scoping, user story mapping, prioritisation)
- The Product Manager will lead in user research and testing to gather requirements and validate the potential solution(s).
- Partnering with a product designer, you will use UX principles to create wireframes to describe the user journey and create a prototype that can be taken into a full UI design.
- Typical projects could be timeboxed ‘discoveries’ to validate an idea. 3 month MVPs are built to test a concept and create a foundation for iteration. Testing, learning and evolving an existing business that needs digitalising or optimising.
- Through exposure to our sales cycle, you will have the opportunity to speak with multiple potential start-up founders. Acting in a consultant pre-sales capacity you can advise founders on how to take their idea to market using LEAN Startup principles. This is a fantastic way to expand your experience and develop strategic and board-level thinking.
- As part of pre-sales engagements, you will work with new business and existing account salespeople to run discovery workshops, work on commercial pricing and help with proposal writing for prospects/customers.
- This role is perfect for someone who likes variety and can handle working on multiple products concurrently, likes to get stuck in, and enjoys wearing multiple hats.
- You will act as a representative of the F+L team, working with the founder to ensure quality is delivered at all times. Your stakeholder management, project management and account management skills will be developed and perfected.
- Great communication and a good technical understanding will be needed to effectively translate business and product requirements into a roadmap and use artefacts like User Stories to connect your strategy with your development team.
- You will create roadmaps that articulate the product strategy clearly to non-technical founders. Using roadmaps, you will show uncertainty, risk and learning. plus how they are navigated by iterative product releases. High-level roadmaps will be translated into actionable batches of work for engineering and design teams to provide solutions for in trackable stages.
- You will work with the rest of the team on tasks like documenting specifications, product testing and ensuring we are building the right thing for the right reason at all times. This will mean getting stuck in and knowing where you can help your team succeed.
- You are an inquisitive client-facing Product Manager who believes in building the right thing for the right reason.
- You like working closely with people to understand, validate and build a vision. You get excited about building new concepts from the ground up.
- You have a passion for start-ups and building up businesses from scratch.
- You are passionate about technology and digital products.
- Great communication comes naturally to you and you are not afraid to ask lots of questions or have difficult conversations to get the right solution.
- You believe in constant learning and use lean/agile delivery to accelerate your learning.
- You are well organised, detail orientated and data-driven.
- You are used to working within tight timeframes, budgets and able to work across multiple products. We don’t fix scopes so embracing constraints and using the time you have in the best way is essential.
- You have a flexible can-do approach and will happily wear multiple hats and get stuck into to get the job done well.
- You love to research the latest trends and industry best practice and share them with your colleagues.
What we need and what you have:
- Client facing Product Management experience.
- Experience using UX principles and creating wireframes.
- Experience creating and owning a product roadmap or strategy.
- Experience of using user story mapping to understand scope.
- Experience scoping and defining products / features and creating sprint plans.
- Knowledge of validation techniques and when to apply them.
- Passionate about the technology/SaaS sector.
- Experience of Kanban development boards and leading a team of developers and designers towards defined product goals.
- Competent at completing user research, testing and writing user stories
- Experience working in a consultancy or for start-ups/new products
- Built software products from the ground up/produced MVPs
- Comfortable using lean, agile, and software development lifecycle frameworks
- Enough technical understanding to work closely with engineers and act as a translator between engineers and non-technical founders.
- Excellent communication skills (internal, client, written and verbal)
- Good knowledge of analytical tools and how they can be used to track and assess performance
- Comfortable with tools such as Figma/Balsamiq, Trello (or similar), Typeform, Webflow (or similar), Analytics tools: Mixpanel, GoogleAnalytics, GoogleTagManger, Hotjar, Heroku, Google Sheets, Zapier.
- Business analysis
- Agile project management
- Professional experience within one or more of Fintech, SaaS, Martech, Proptech, Marketplaces.
- Location: We support “working from anywhere” with occasional travel to workshops and meetings to London and other parts of the UK
Founder + Lightning is much more than just a place to work. What sets us apart is our unique, people-centric culture that keeps evolving. Our culture is an integral part of our organisational DNA that is unrivalled by most in the industry.
Founder + Lightning is a place to learn, thrive, and grow. And we take great care in developing and nurturing it.
What do we believe in? Whenever in doubt remember to:
- Push the boundaries of what you think you can achieve.
- Just get on and do it.
- Do the right thing when nobody's looking.
- Really care about what you are working on and whom you are working with.
- Be approachable and behave in a way that makes people want to work with you.
You’re going to love it here!
Thank you for your interest, this position has been filled.