Who we are
We partner with ambitious startup founders and equip them with the team, tools, expertise and scale to build highly successful technology companies. ucreate is headquartered in London, UK but our teams are spread out across many cities around the world.
About Founder + Lightning
We are defining a new category of company called a Venture builder. We partner with ambitious non-technical founders and support them with the tools, expertise and scale to build highly successful technology companies.
In the last 5 years with our unique part cash, part equity model we have built 19 companies that now have a combined value of over £180 million based on their last raise, of which we typically own approximately 5%.
With over 120 staff, spread across 3 countries and operating in a rapidly growing sector of technology startups, it's an exciting time to join.
In the last 12 months through the pandemic we have grown 50% and now on the back of our latest investment round are planning our rapid growth strategy for an ecosystem of technology startup services from Tech, Product, Finance, Commercial and Funding.
We are passionate about delivering innovative products in a seamless, agile and collaborative way with our Founders. As part of our growth, we are looking for an experienced Financial Controller to join our team.
We are undergoing a major transformation programme, re-branding, expanding into new services, launching spin-off companies and building something truly special.
- Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer of the agency business & Group CFO you will be primarily responsible for the Financial, Commercial and Company secretarial operations of the business.
- Managing the business. The role is to be the central point for both managing the day to day aspects of running the business, alongside building out the functions to enable rapid scale and best practice for a robust set of disciplines & compliance.
- Group Engagement. The opportunity will require assistance on wider group aspects which will entail M&A integration, new process & systems implementation, over-seeing our Joint ventures development and growth.
The fun stuff you'll actually be doing:
The finance function is immature as it has only recently been brought in house. Therefore the role requires someone to build on the initial functions structure to create a robust and scalable finance across all core disciplines of AP/AR/GL, reporting, systems and controls. This is a long term project that needs experience of knowing what “Good looks like”. Our operations are split between the UK, India & Poland currently, so strong controls, reporting and compliance will be required.
The commercial function likewise is immature and therefore needs the existing basic processes expanding on such that it fits alongside the Sales & Finance teams to create seamless workflows with the required commercial controls. Close attention to Revenue growth, margin management and commercial boundaries are key to the company's success.
The Groups company secretary & legal function will sit within your remit. This covers contracts, statutory requirements and our equity portfolio management.
We will be looking into various M&A opportunities, therefore integration of those businesses will be needed at various stages. Alongside this will be our other Group Portfolio companies (F+L financial, Joint Ventures & fundraising), which will require support/liaison.
Day to Day you will report to the COO. you will act as their key finance partner.
There will be a dotted line into the CFO for general financial oversight.
Given the Group structure, you will then have 2 immediate direct reports (assistant accountant and Company Secretary) and this will expand in time.
What we need and what you have:
Passion & interests
- You want to be part of something truly exciting. We’re building the future of Technology businesses so you should truly want to play your part in our vision.
- You have a passion for start ups and building up businesses from scratch and about applying technology effectively in digital products.
- You bring energy, drive, pride and high standards.
- Great communication. Coming naturally to you, you are not afraid to ask lots of questions or have difficult conversations to get the right solution.
- You believe in constant learning. Self-development is a must to build knowledge in both your domain expertise, but how it links to our founders. Also using lean principles to make progress without having to build the perfect solution. Small steps are better than 1 big.
- You are well organised. Being detail orientated and data driven.
- Tight timeframes & at Pace. The ability to work across multiple projects at once is critical.
- Flexible can-do approach. You will happily wear multiple hats and get stuck into to get the job done well
- Ability to clearly manage up and down. Knowing how to message appropriately and in a timely way.
- Presence. You are a leader, visabile, accessible, a motivator and team mentor.
- Constant change. Being comfortable with constantly changing environments and being outside your comfort zone do not make you feel out of place.
- Experience working in a T&M agency people business where the service provided is people not products.
- Sound knowledge & deep understanding of time tracking, billability, margin management, scenario planning and continual monitoring of key profitability metrics.
- Scaled a high growth business previously, knowing the pain points and what is required at each stage
- Working in a software environment to know its nuances & critical success factors
- Experience owning the accounting function, covering all areas of AP, AR & GL.
- Implementing best practices for controls, processes and efficiency improvements. We must be scalable.
- Full ownership of cashflow responsibilities, from management, collection, reporting and multi-currency.
- You have implemented & owned timely management reports to give clear overviews & details of the business environment.
- You have experience making, reporting and tracking the appropriate business KPIs for that business and understand the difference between input and output metrics.
- You should have experience working with senior management to create & execute a project plan whilst running the day to day.
- You are able to demonstrate you seniority in the organisation, leading by example and setting the pace.
- You will of been part of a wider senior or extended management team to work collaboratively across functional areas.
- You must have direct line management experience of more than 3 people
- You will have held staff appraisals and set objectives for them to learn and grow.
- You will be used to managing others workloads and communicating their priorities.
- You understand the importance and need of strong internal controls.
- You can create an environment to be audit ready across multiple businesses and multiple countries.
- You are familiar with EMI schemes, EIS & SEIS rules and regular external reporting requirements.
- Experience implementing accounting software tools. Ideally Xero and its ecosystems of platforms
- Experience with involvement of implementing wider business software to feed into finances requirements.
- Expert Excel / Google sheets for Financial Model reporting and building
- Confident user of Word / G-docs etc
Location: Remote working with occasional travel to London & elsewhere
Start date: ASAP
- You’ll actually be a part of something amazing (we build great startups!)
- We work on ideas through inception, validation, planning, building, launching and growing
- Mentorship is a given so you’ll actually learn something through hands-on experience scaling a rapidly growing business & Group of companies.
- You have full autonomy over your efforts (so give yourself a real challenge)
- We listen to your ideas and empower you to impact the direction
- Satisfaction is guaranteed if you throw yourself into the role & company
- You can help teach and mentor other team members to see them grow